I never really thought I would be saying this, but this is a prize-winning recipe. Seriously! Lorberau Farms of Alice, Texas is a local goat cheese farm. They recently ran a “Flavor Your Own” contest. And I won!
The contest was to take their plain chevre cheese and add your own flavoring to it. I came up with the recipe below. A friend of mine named it Fiesta Cheese Ball because she said it was like a party in your mouth. Perhaps it’s a San Antonio thing since we have a 10 day party every Spring called Fiesta!
- 6 oz Chevre goat cheese
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 Tbsp crumbled bacon (1-2 slices)
- Chop pecans and then “toast” on stove, in a dry pan, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Drain & crumble.
- Crumble chevre into a bowl.
- Add chipotle powder, cinnamon, and honey.
- Add 1 Tbsp toasted pecans.
- Add crumbled bacon.
- Mix well and form into a ball.
- Grind remaining pecans into meal.
- Roll cheese ball in the pecan meal.