The holiday season seems like a good time to talk about food allergies. They need to be taken seriously. If someone has an allergy, you should be aware of it and be know the ingredients in the foods you bring to the party. Take that extra time, it could save a life.
Here are some things that you need to be aware of:
- An allergy does not mean I don’t like the food. I love coconut, but I’m allergic to it. Not the same thing.
- People don’t make up their allergies, it’s not all in their head. It is real.
- It’s important to know and reveal the allergens in the food you bring to the party.
- A food allergy isn’t necessarily something that a person outgrows.
- A little bit CAN hurt. It only takes a small amount to trigger that allergic reaction.
- No, you can’t get over an allergy by eating small amounts. See the item above. Better yet, see the next item.
- Allergies CAN BE DEADLY! Sorry to shout, but it needs to be said. Allergies can kill. I have a penicillin allergy. Like peanuts, each exposure can result in a more serious reaction. And the next one can kill.
- It is called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis involves multiple organ systems. Without prompt treatment, it can, and does, result in death.
Anaphylaxis is very serious. Avoidance is the very best answer. It is an emergency situation, even if the allergic individual is administered epinephrine or other medications.
Do you know someone with a food allergy? What else would you want others to know?
Photo Courtesy Joshua Kaufman via Flickr
Latest posts by Barbara (see all)
- Where Am I Now? - March 9, 2016
- Of Cantaloupes and Cucumbers - April 28, 2015
- Antiperspirants Vs. Deodorants - March 31, 2015