For a child with food allergies, even arts & crafts can be a scary thing. Some are obvious, such as:
- Macaroni art could be a problem for children allergic to wheat or eggs.
- Food baking projects.
- Any project involving nuts, beans or seeds.
But there are some others that you need to be aware of.
- Craft paste – craft paste can contain wheat starch. Check with manufacturers for their ingredients.
- Some crayons contain soy. You’ll want to check with the manufacturer.
- Play-Doh® contains wheat. An alternative is modeling clay.
- Reuse of empty containers – It seems like a good idea to reuse empty containers such as egg cartons and milk containers. But if there’s any allergen residue left behind, it could be a problem. Better to use new containers.
- Tempura paint typically contains egg. Look for other paints.
Ingredients can change so it’s a good idea to check regularly with the manufacturer of craft supplies.