You have no doubt read many blog posts this week talking about your New Year Resolutions, most of them talking about losing weight and getting in shape. While I think all of that is important, I want you to focus on your self-care first. Because once you address these needs, then losing weight and getting in shape just come naturally!
Increasing self-care is also one of the best ways to improve your energy level. When you do things that you are passionate about, it fuels your soul. When you allow yourself to take a break and relax, you feel refreshed and have all the energy to take on the world.
Here are some ideas to nourish your soul:
- Clean, fresh air – According to the EPA, Americans spend only 10% of our time outdoors. That’s only 2.4 hours. How much time do you spend in fresh air? (Sorry, your car doesn’t count!)
- Exercise/movement – Personally, I long for those days when I was moving and exercising. Usually without thinking of it as work. Wouldn’t you love to be back there?
- Meaningful relationship – If our relationships aren’t nourishing, then they can become toxic and be a drain on your energy.
- Fulfilling career – You spend a minimum of 40 hours per week at your job. If it isn’t fulfilling, look for ways to change it.
- Rest and relaxation – Time with friends, just enjoying life, relaxation – it’s so very important in nourishing your soul!
- Spiritual practice – Whatever your beliefs, take time to to honor them.
Create a “nourishment menu” for yourself. When you feel like you need a boost, take the list out and do one of the things that fuels your soul. Some ideas: take a walk in a park, call your loved ones, do yoga or stretching exercises, take your dog for a walk, take a walk with a friend to catch up, or work on a hobby.
Photo Courtesy KhE via Flickr