Mushrooms, onion, cheese. What could possibly go wrong? I asked the mushroom vendor at our farmers market about her favorite recipes for mushrooms. From what she described, I came up with this recipe for mushroom quesadillas.
Author: Barbara McNeely
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chilis
- 8 Whole grain tortillas
- 8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
- Sauté onions in butter until transparent.
- Add mushrooms, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, and Rotel and cook for 5 minutes, until hot.
- You will cook quesadillas one at a time (unless you have a large skillet).
- Spray skillet with olive oil spray.
- Set to medium heat.
- Put tortilla in pan.
- Add ¼ of the cheese and spread over tortilla.
- Add ¼ of the mushroom, onion, tomato mixture and spread out.
- Top with tortilla.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- Flip quesadilla over and cook until tortilla is lightly browned.
- Repeat for remaining quesadillas.
This recipe makes 4 quesadillas. We each ate only one. If you plan to have left overs, prepare everything and then wait until you're ready to eat to assemble and do final cooking.
What are your favorite mushroom recipes? Leave a comment below.