Red Beans and Rice With Sausage
Author: Barbara McNeely
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 2 quarts water
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp oregano
- 1½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound Andouille (or your favorite) sausage, sliced ½ inch thick
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Wash beans, place in a large pot and add water.
- Bring water and beans to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour. Do not drain.
- Add onions, celery, and bell pepper. Gently push them below the water.
- Cover pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Combine spices, except bay leaves, in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle spices on top of beans, add bay leaves and sausage.
- Gently stir the pot - you don't want to break the beans.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. Simmer longer if the beans are not soft.
- Serve over rice with cheese on top.
I love red beans & rice. Mine turns out a bit on the spicy side. You may want to tone down the garlic and cayenne. Or not, it’s up to you!