The name itself “bread crumbs” begs the question: “Why spend money on this?” Seriously, why did I ever go to the store to buy crumbs? Another question for you: “What do you do with all those odd ends or heels of bread?” I have one answer to both questions.
Make your own bread crumbs! It’s easy and inexpensive. And, since I quit buying anything processed, my bread crumbs are made from my own home-made bread! Here’s how to do it:
- Save up all your heels of bread or bread that’s gone a bit stale. Put them in a gallon zip lock bag in your freezer.
- When your supply builds up a bit, take out all that bread. If any of it is thicker than a slice of bread, slice it thinner.
- Put it in your dehydrator at about 110 degrees for several hours – until dry & crunchy.
- If you don’t have a dehydrator, put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 for an hour or two. You’ll want to turn them occasionally.
- Cool your bread if it was in the oven.
- Run through your blender or food processor until the crumbs reach your desired texture.
- If you have lots of bread, you’ll need to do it in batches.
- Store in an air-tight container.